June 13, 2002

yar went to Greer again last night after work.... that place is so fun. The locals there rule.... super nice and super funny, I met two of the rippers yesterday, this guy named Stu, and this other guy named Jimmy... they are like Greer park legands... Jimmy is like a Greer park God... he can drop in anywere and make it look easy.....super fast style too... that guy rips....

I have talked with Stu the last few times I have skated there. He is a true pirate at heart.... stands around singing 70's rock songs and cracking jokes all day long... super funny... He has a real genuine smile too, you can just tell he is stoked to be skating and talkin shit.... Someone spray painted Stu's name at the top of the big bowl... it says: "Stu's Spot" with a big X... the funny thing is... he really does stand by the X all the time...He told me that he doesn't know who painted it there.... one day he just happened to look down and sure enough, he was standing on the X.... hahaha. Stu rules!

The grafitti at Greer always makes me smile.... On the ground infront of the gate to enter Greer someone painted "NO SCOOTERS ALLOWED" that cracks me up... right next to it there is something to the effect of "welcome to the MTV rock and jock weekend" or something like that.... My favorite quote is written by the top of the big bowl. It says: "Where is the secret tape on this level?" hahaha (making reference to THPS) that shit makes me chuckle everytime I read it.... a long time ago there was a quote above the big bowl that said: "look out! it's a big smelly hippie" that one use to make me laugh a lot too.... One of the other ones that always makes me laugh is the one that says "extreme street course". This was written next to the parking block that use to be by the big bowl..... anyone who has ever been to Greer knows it isn't a place for street skating... it isn't a place to get "extreme"... shit, it isn't even a place where you act serious..... it is a place where you do hesher lines and oldschool carves, and it is a place where you rediscover what ridin' the ole plank is all about.... Greer is about soul....

I think that place has finally found it's way into my heart... back in the day I was too intimidated to get hesh there... I was like a small boat in big waves... but now, I love it... I am still in a small boat, but I am sailin' figure eights around the waves.... it is fun to ride there... Really, when I analize my time spent there, I only spend about 25% of my time skating.... I spend about half of my time laughing, with or at Capn' Stu and Capn' Jimmy and the rest of the locals..... and the other 25% of my time, well, I spend that time watchin' those dudes rip it up..... they are sick.... I could sit and watch people ride there for hours.... especially when they are funny fools like Stu and Jimmy... Greer is rad.
--Capn' Slaydog S.S. Greeraholic

No comments: