May 21, 2002

Gold in them thar hills
Yar been thinkin a lot about the whole concept of money... tha thing that so many of us hold dear to our heart.... but what is money really.... just a sheet of paper with some green ink on it.... and why is that so valuable... can't really do anything with it except maybe whipe yer arse with it..... maybe a better use would be to use it as newspaper to help make a fire... Ya can't even use it to write on....so what good is that?! Paper you can't even write on..... I guess it is kind of strong... but I wouldn't use one as a sail for me ole ship...much to small to power the ole boat... and it would take much too long to sew a thousand of them together and make a big sail out of them..... So why is the ole dollar worth anything at all?? I guess it all goes back to gold... paper money is a representation of gold.... um yea.. and why in ta bloody hell is gold worth anything... what bastard made gold so bloody sought after... "hey lookey here matie's I just dug up this rock from the ole ground... and hey lookie here.. it sparkels in the sun... yar! this is worth a lot!" What in tha bloody hell??!!! Gold is worth something because it is pretty???!!! WHAT??? Ya can't make a sword outa gold... well, you could, but not one that will last fer long in a battle at least.... why isn't steel worth more then gold??? ya can do much more with steel....oh... because there isn't a lot of gold to be found in the ole world... it is "rare".... well, there is only one of me... shouldn't I be worth more then gold then? but yet, I am only "worth more" if I have a bunch of gold in my possession.... a bunch of rocks that sparkle.... and look shiny when ya polish them... that makes you rich.... That seems a bit strange to me..... we base everything of "Value" on its relation to rocks... or the ability to obtain rocks..... does this not sound like insanity to anyone else.... If you want to understand the roots to this insanity read this........ or you can just look at it from my view..... people are insane.... we love rocks.... yar.... I think I will go back to piracy, this philosophy bag is makin me head hurt! "AHOY THERE YON GALLEON!! PREPARE TO BE BOARDED!!!! WE HAVE COME FER YER ROCKS" oh... and yer maidens too!!!! and um... maybe a bit o' food as well.....
--Capn' Goldrush S.S. Fourtyniner

No comments: